hello users welcome to gamer-avenue.net this site is up agian . don't be shy and start contribute agian . for any help msg Mroreniko or any other admin . thanks and have a great time !

SSD drives? Preferred hard drive?

Discussions on all aspects of web hosting including past experiences (both negative and positive )
noodniko

SSD drives? Preferred hard drive?

Postby noodniko » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm beginning to see more and more offers being made with SSD drives. Do they cut down on profit margins and if so, is it worth the trade off? Of the three laptops I have at home, one has a SSD and it had to be replaced in less than 30 days.

What are the dynamics to adding SSD drives to offers from both the consumers point of view and the hosting provider?

Is there a preferred hard drive for hosting - one that stands apart from the others?

Mroreniko
Site Admin

Re: SSD drives? Preferred hard drive?

Postby Mroreniko » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

In regards to your laptop at home, that SSD must've been faulty. Samsung SSD's are amazing consumer grade storage solutions and usually come with 5 year warranty's.

From a hosting point of view, a lot of customers now opt for SSD hosting solutions so it's a must for us. I personally prefer SSD's over hard drives in any case for serving larger amounts of customers with less bottleneck.

mrbooma

Re: SSD drives? Preferred hard drive?

Postby mrbooma » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Depends upon what your costs are.

SSDs cost more up front to deploy, but you get the following benefits:

1) Lower power consumption (this can been substantial when you are talking hundreds of drives). This is a direct savings on power costs (fewer power feeds).
2) Lower server support costs - lets face it, HDDs are the most commonly swapped component in a server. The less you have to pay for techs time to swap drives, do RAID rebuilds, etc. the more you save.
3) Improved customer satisfaction - this one has a direct $$$ implication. You can charge higher rates for SSD storage, and customers are much much happier with the improved performance.

Return to “Web Hosting and web servers”