hello users welcome to gamer-avenue.net this site is up agian . don't be shy and start contribute agian . for any help msg Mroreniko or any other admin . thanks and have a great time !

Jumping from Windows 7 to Linux: Home user

Discuss all flavors of Windows
mottyboy

Jumping from Windows 7 to Linux: Home user

Postby mottyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Hello

As a learning experience, I want to jump from Windows 7 to Linux full time on my laptop. This isn't because of some antiWindows redactedor because its free or anything like that. I just want to learn the ins and outs of Linux like I pretty much know on Windows.

First off, compatibility. I do need that all my hardware on my laptop be compatible. From shortcut keys to wifi. This is not a brand new laptop so there shouldn't be any problems. Its a Dell Vostro 1510.

Next, software. Basically on this laptop software I use in and out: uTorrent, Teamviewer, WMP, mIRC, Skype, vSphere Client, Microsoft Office......That's pretty much it IMO. Also Facebook and YouTube (Flash) are a must. I will run all this software in WINE. I don't want (most) of the Linux ports.

Next, virtualization. Due to some things (like Office) cannot be ran in Linux, I use a VM. VMWare with its unity feature pretty much gives me what I want.

Next, streaming. I need to be able to stream media from a WS2012R2 to this Linux installation. Special setup?

Anything that is blowing over me, please mention.

Mroreniko
Site Admin

Re: Jumping from Windows 7 to Linux: Home user

Postby Mroreniko » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Linux has plenty of torrent clients, media players and irc clients.

There's Teamviewer and Skype for Linux.

Not sure about vSphere but I believe you may be able to use WINE for office.

Streaming should not be a problem either.

Return to “Operating systems”